Thursday, July 2, 2009

Alternatives

An alternative is an option. An alternative is a reasonable substitute. An alternative is what I can do instead of what I am currently doing. Often, an alternative is a good thing and just what the doctor ordered. My problem is, I was never taught to actively look for alternatives. I am not alone. Like me, many of us settle for the status quo regardless.

Obviously there are no alternatives for some things. If one wants to be saved, he or she must believe that Jesus is God manifested in the flesh. He or she must be born again of the water and the Spirit. He or she must cooperate with the work of sanctification in his or her life. The Bible is the authoritative voice of Christian logic and understanding. There are no alternatives to these. However, can I suggest there are lots of possibilities for alternatives?

Is Sunday worshiping a mandate? Is the ‘one church per city model’ the best model? Are there ministry options other than preaching or playing music? Do we have to wear a suit and tie to every service? Must our sanctuaries have pews or rows? Understand, I am not trying to be anti-establishment with these questions, I am just wondering if there are better alternatives.

As change accelerates, as innovation reduces the shelf life of just about everything to 3 days, and as the demand for effective ministry increases proportionately, I suggest our response include discovering and implementing alternatives. If there is a better way, if there are better options, don’t we owe it to ourselves and a lost world to discover the best alternatives and put them into practice?

5 comments:

  1. I would say, at minimum, we certainly owe it to a lost world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of the discussion you had in your Written Comm 2 class...it was something along the lines of reaching out to the 21st century. I think we need to come up with alternatives to reach our ever changing world.Some of the alternatives may be uncomfortable and not what we're used to(ex:a church building)but as stated above we certainly should try and do what we can to reach the lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very courageous Sis HP. And courage is the operative word in this discussion I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How refreshing, an Apostolic that is forward thinking. With thinking like this, some of us backslidders might reconsider.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's very kind mom. Thank you. I certainly hope we can do something to provide some fresh air for those suffering the malady of religious disappointment.

    ReplyDelete