Monday, June 29, 2009

Success

Success is the achievement of something planned or attempted. It is generally synonymous with a triumph, a victory, or a fait accompli. Success is the mountain top, the brass ring, or the top of the dog pile. But, is being on the top of the wrong dog pile real success?

For the discovering disciple, success needs an accurate definition. The Apostle Paul left us a few ideas. In Colossians 3:10 he suggests success is to be “complete in Him.” In 1 Thessalonians 5:23 he suggests success is to be “holy in every way” and “kept blameless until our Lord Jesus Christ comes again.” In 1 Thessalonians 4:3 he suggests success is to be “sanctified.” In Philippians 2:15 he suggests success is to be “without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world.” I think the picture is clear enough. I am sure the bar is too high.

At times like this, when the bar seems too high and my abilities seem too small, I am glad success is a product of time well spent today and not what happened yesterday. I am thankful that I have an "advocate with the Father", and that I am "strengthened by His mighty power" (1 John 2:1 & Ephesians 3:16).

1 comment:

  1. Certainly clarifies some things to me. Thank you for such a timely and awesome post!

    ReplyDelete