Monday, July 6, 2009

The body of Christ

I am very thankful today for the Body of Christ. I am coming to terms with how precious it is to assemble with the people of God to entertain the presence of God and participate in the work of the Spirit and Word. How valuable is this heaven to earth experience we enjoy with one another? Incalculable!

I have had the privilege of being with the body all across the United States and now overseas in Europe. During those travels I have discovered a few things through reflection. One, I could feel at home anywhere if I wanted to. We are one body, joined by a common experience and belief. If felt displaced it was my fault. Another discovery was my way was not necessarily better, it was just more familiar. I doubt there is a prescribed style of praise and preaching. Paul told us to preach the word, not preach the word this way. Another discovery I rejoice in is that this is a cross-cultural experience. Not because we intend it to be necessarily, but because this experience deals with the most common human needs. God intended it to be. Anywhere you go, redemption and regeneration works on the heart and minds of men and women bringing about Christ in us.
Thank God for the church. Thank God I am in it!

2 comments:

  1. In general, the churches, visited by me often on weekdays... bore for me the same relation to God that billboards did to Coca-Cola; they promoted thirst without quenching it. ~John Updike, A Month of Sundays, 1975

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch!!! Help us Lord. Maybe we spend so much on perserving the status quo that we don't have a lot left to adequately satisfy the needs.

    ReplyDelete