Friday, June 12, 2009

Intimate scrutiny

In Psalms 139 David invites the Lord to search him and know his heart. He invites the Lord to try him and consider whether there was any wickedness in him. The courage of this act is monumental. The significance of this invitation cannot be loss on a discovering disciple.

The process of intimate examination is a necessary part of growth. I cannot address the unknown. I cannot reconcile the unseen. I cannot fix what I do not know to be broke. If I am going to improve, I must consent to scrutiny. For the most part, everyone understands this. We all understand the value of accountability and quality control, but I sure do not like it at times.

One of the saddest spectacles in life is unfulfilled potential. He had so much potential, She had so much talent, He really could have done something, and I really thought she was going to do well are some of the saddest things that can be said about a person. Intimate examination is uncomfortable and sometimes painful, but it prevents this tragedy and many others.

By way of encouragement, please let me point out a facet of God that makes this process much easier. In Psalms 139:17 we discover that God’s “thoughts towards us are precious” and that they are “innumerable.” It is comforting to know, that while I am being closely examined, I am being examined by one who is deeply committed to me. It is comforting to know that God is not looking for disqualifying flaws. He is looking for opportunities for my growth knowing that my greatest achievements are predicated on the outcomes of intimate examination.,

No comments:

Post a Comment