Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Differentiating cats

Early this morning, one of my boys and I were sitting outside enjoying in the cool fresh air on the patio when he made an incredible discovery. We were watching our two cats and He said; “you know how you can tell the difference between a boy cat and a girl cat?” Of course I had to inquire. He proceeded to tell me “girl cats have scrunchy faces and boy cats have their tails down most of the time.” Of course I accepted this logic as profound for his sake and we changed subjects.

Now I realize that is really silly and that is the logic of a little boy just beginning to understand life. I realize that idea is absolutely absurd, but this episode of life as a dad gave me some pause. I asked myself, how many times have I reached some kind of far off conclusion about an issue based on casual, misinformed observation? How many times have I drawn a conclusion about something without solid information to base my decision on or without giving it much study?

Sadly, way too many times! Unfortunately it is very easy to approach life the same way my boy approached differentiating the cats. Here is how it works; we make some observations which seem logical with the information we have on hand, we stake our claim to those observations, and we react or base our actions on them. The outcomes generally result in us telling someone that it seemed like a good idea at a time.

My prayer this morning is that God will help me pause more often in life to give it more thought. My prayer is that God will help me understand the crucial importance of well-informed and well-thought out. My prayer is that God will impress on me the blessings that come from 3D vision – hindsight, insight, and foresight.

1 comment:

  1. This is very good! An area I need to take action in and diligently work on. God help us, help me!

    ReplyDelete